Bauer Media celebrates breakfast show success across Scotland
18 May 2017
Stand out performances for breakfast shows at Northsound, MFR and Radio Borders
- Clyde 1’s ‘Bowie@Breakfast’ continues to be Glasgow and the West’s number 1 breakfast show (in reach), delivering a great market share of 16% in a highly competitive market.
- Forth 1’s popular breakfast show ‘Boogie In The Morning’ maintains a fantastic audience share of 20.9% of listeners across Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife with 234,000 listeners (up 2,000 listeners on the previous quarter).
- ‘Keith Clarkson at Breakfast’ on Radio Borders has a massive 34.8% share of the audience in the region for all adults aged 15+.
- Tay FM’s ‘Wake up with Webster’ is the number 1 breakfast show for reach across Tayside and Fife, reaching 89,000 listeners in the region (+9.9% YoY).
- ‘Ginno@Breakfast’ with Ginno Conti and Grace Wylie now enjoys an amazing 33.1% share of the region’s audience.
- Northsound 1’s breakfast show ‘Jeff and Lauren In The Morning’ has increased its all-radio market lead in the North-east of Scotland achieving 23.9% of the market share in Q1 2017 (+4% YoY).
In addition to the outstanding results reported across all of Bauer Radio’s Bauer City 1 breakfast shows in Scotland, some additional highlights include:
- MFR celebrates its highest market share in more than six years (since Q4 2010), with a 28.4% share of the market.
- Record reach with 128,000 listeners, the highest in more than five-and-a-half years (since Q3 2011).
- Hours are at a five-year high amounting to 1.4 million (since Q1 2012).
- 51% of the population in the region listen to MFR every week.
- Westsound, including West FM, Westsound Ayr and Westsound Dumfries & Galloway, has reported a two-year high for total hours and audience share.
- Total hours are reported at above 2 million (2,000,034) (+25.9% YoY); whilst share is up 15% YoY.
- Average hours are also up 28.7% YoY.
Bauer Scotland’s Bauer City 2 network which includes Clyde 2, Forth 2, Tay 2, Northsound 2, MFR 2, Westsound Ayr and Westsound Dumfries & Galloway have also enjoyed a great quarter:
- Bauer City 2’s network of stations have hit 2 million hours (2,068,000).
- Forth 2 has enjoyed a particularly strong quarter, reporting a five-year high across hours and market share.
Graham Bryce, Managing Director of Bauer Radio in Scotland, said: “We have hit the ground running in 2017 with our refocused music position playing all the biggest hits, all day long, allowing us to even better cater to the tastes of our listeners. We continue to be the market-leaders in every area through our unique combination of local presenters, local news and sport and a deep connection to the areas we serve.
“Our fantastic breakfast teams just seem to go from strength to strength. Following recent 20-year and 10-year breakfast broadcasting milestones for Clyde 1’s George Bowie and MFR’s Ginno Conti respectively, it is fitting that the Bauer Media breakfast shows across Scotland have had such a great quarter!
“Today’s brilliant results are testament to the outstanding people we have at our stations across Scotland. We will continue to invest in our talent and content to create more relevant products that, in turn, help to drive our engagement with listeners.”
Source: RAJAR / Ipsos - MORI / RSMB, period Q1 2017 (2nd January 2017 - 2nd April 2017). Some stations do not cover the whole of the TSA (total survey area).