Focus On ... ... Managing Conflict – Don’t fear it, embrace it – it’s your job!
Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, 30 George Square, Glasgow, United Kingdom
From: Wednesday 19 April 2017 09:30 To: Wednesday 19 April 2017 12:30
Conflict is a normal and natural aspect of relationships. Because of this we need to find a way to address conflict that is direct and assertive while also respectful and diplomatic. While you can try and avoid conflict, you cannot escape conflict. It can decrease your teams productivity, stifle change and it will find you whether you look for it or not.
The workshop covers conflict management from both an individual and team perspective. It explores why conflict happens in the first place, how you can better manage yourself and others during conflict situations. We share a variety of different conflict handling strategies and discuss when they would be most suitable. The workshop will help you develop the skills and behaviours to be both assertive and direct but at the same time respectfully and diplomatic in conflict situations. The workshop blends theory, practical exercises and case studies to help the participants to develop an enhanced approach.
Leadership and conflict go hand in hand because leadership is a ‘full contact sport’. Your ability to recognise conflict, understand the nature of conflict and to be able to bring swift and just resolution to conflict, will serve you well as a leader – your inability to do so may well be your downfall.
- Enhanced ability to manage and resolve conflict in the workplace.
- Understand how you can better manage yourself in conflict situations.
- Greater self-awareness regarding your trigger factors and how to manage them.
- Develop a range of different strategies for managing and resolving conflict.
- Gain confidence in holding difficult conversations calmly and assertively.
- Grow your conflict management skills to enable you to develop deeper and enhanced relationships.
- Appreciate that conflict can be an opportunity for learning, growth and positive change.
- Enhanced team and personal productivity along with a healthier working environment.
Mark is an experienced business leader with a proven track record in delivering significant business improvements and results. His business, Blue Ptarmigan, partners companies to ‘unlock their potential and unleash growth’.
Mark has a breadth of experience working with business owners and managers, which has been gained from an extensive and wide-ranging career. As well has running his own company, Mark has led various functions including HR, Learning & Development, Supply Chain & Operations and Property Development for a major multinational company. His career experience allows him to make sense of the organisational jigsaw, which in turn enables him to understand the different operating contexts and paradigms that attendees bring along to the workshops. He has extensive experience in the design and delivery of leadership and management training programmes for both small businesses and large corporations. In addition, he is an associate lecturer with Dundee Business School and a business mentor and coach with the Princes Trust (Youth Business Scotland).