Glasgow Life calls for Glasgow Tourism and Hospitality Businesses to create their own Accessibility Guide and tap into a market worth £1.3 bn
19 Feb 2018
There are many good reasons for tourism and hospitality businesses to think about accessibility, not least of which is bottom line: research in 2015 put the value of the UK market at £1.3bn, up 55% in just four years.
This year Glasgow is preparing to host three major conferences which will bring delegates with a wide range of differing mobility and other requirements to the city:
- The World Federation of Haemophilia Congress 2018: 20-24 May
- The World Down Syndrome Congress: 24-27 July
- The International Symposium on ASL/MND: 7-9 December.
We would like to showcase the city’s accessible tourism businesses on our website to make it as easy as possible for conference organisers and delegates to identify those which best suit their requirements – whether they’re looking for a conference venue, accommodation, restaurants, or any other service when visiting or hosting a meeting in Glasgow.
What we need from you:
- Please complete VisitScotland’s official accessibility guide on behalf of your business: https://www.accessibilityguides.org/
- Send us the link to your guide once this is complete.
- We will then publish this on your detail page on glasgowconventionbureau.com and highlight your business as “accessible”.
The wider benefits of having an accessibility guide for your business:
- At least 54% of people with access requirements avoid going to new places if they cannot find information about their accessibility (source Euan’s Guide – the disabled access review site).
- We have an ageing population whose accessibility requirements are likely to represent an even larger section of your customer base e.g. between 2006 and 2015 there was a massive 31% increase in the number of domestic trips taken by people over of the age of 55 and this trend is set to continue.
- Businesses who already cater for this market are experiencing higher occupancy rates and benefit from a loyal customer base who keep returning and recommending them to friends and family
If you would like to be featured on our site as an accessible business, we would be grateful if you could complete and send us the link to your accessibility guide at your earliest convenience.